Wednesday, April 5, 2017

How to Save $5,000 on Your Phone Bill

If you are like me, then you have been paying Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T thousands of dollars over your lifetime. It all started for me in 8th grade when I got my first flip phone. Since that time I have loved the many advances in my phone and service provided by these carriers. Except, I slowly accepted that I had to deal with the moments of excruciatingly painful customer service calls and at least a $70 phone bill to have a smart phone. These have become the assumptions of owning the glorious pocket computer that can connect us with the anyone in the world, navigate us through any city during rush hour, and can take 10 mega pixel shots of your breakfast. We are stuck paying the premium for this right?  Not anymore. There is a new service in town!

The new service is called Google Fi and here is the rundown.


The requirements are; You must use one of three Google phones available. The Pixel, Nexus 6p, or Nexus 5x. That’s the only requirement! So if you were like me and you have an iPhone, you need to ask yourself, “When was the last time I looked at an Android phone, and is my iPhone really worth paying at least an extra $500 a year more for phone service.” I can say now after making the switch that I like my Nexus 6p more than my IPhone 6.

The basic details of the plan are as follows.

Cost is $20 a month and you pay $10 for every GB of data you use. So I will be paying $32.29 a month for a super computer in my pocket. I just download all my podcasts at home on my Wi-Fi which is what I previously spent my data on because I did not have the option of a 1 GB plan.
So what if you go over your data plan? You just pay for the amount of data you used. No fee. Thank goodness.

If you have a 4GB plan and you use only 1GB you will be credited the cost for the amount of data you did not use on your next bill. Say what! I’ve been waiting 10 years for this moment.
That’s all I needed to hear to think about make the switch. You can get all the details, including a cell coverage map here. https://g.co/fi/r/3988t5

Doing the math on this decision is what really sold me. Here is what my savings calculation looks like.

Sale of iPhone: +$300 - Purchase of Nexus: -$400 = -$100
Cost of Verizon Monthly: $75
Cost of Google fi monthly: $33
Monthly savings: $42
First year savings: $404
Yearly savings: $504

That means over the next 10 years I will save $4,940 on phone service! Plus, I am happier with the service from google. Plus if I invest my monthly savings and earn a 5% return over 10 years I will have a total of $6,591. That’s certainly not just pocket change to me! I’ll gladly download my podcasts at home.
If you want to make the switch head over to https://g.co/fi/r/3988t5

If you use the link I provided you will be given a $20 credit off of your first Google fi bill.


No comments:

Post a Comment